So I made this thing and put it on Instagram and then people asked for the recipe. So, here it is.
I should point out I don’t really measure stuff out, I just go by how much is in the bowl etc, but I’ve added approximate amounts. You’ll figure it out.
- Plain flour – 400g
- Baking soda – 1.5 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Bacon bits – some
- Cheddar cheese – 100g
- Hot red chilli – 1
- Buttermilk – 200ml or maybe more or maybe less, I don’t really know
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Lash all the flour in a bowl. Add the baking soda and salt. Mix it like Sir Mixalot.
- Fry up the bacon bits
- Chop up the cheese into 1/2cm chunks
- Chop up the chilli real fine like
- Add cheese, bacon and chilli to the dry mix
- Add the buttermilk until it all comes together without being too wet
- Turn it out onto a floured surface
- Make a kind of roundy-shaped, but slightly flat ball, you don’t need to knead it. Just shape it.
- Place it on a baking tray with baking paper or a pizza stone if you have one
- Score a 1/2 inch deep cross into the top of it
- Add some thinly sliced cheddar (if you like) to the top of the dough
- Place in oven, bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove, cool on a wire rack.
You should get something that ends up looking like below – and it’s delicious. Thank me later.